Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Hockeytown: The Home of Playoff Hockey


                Motown?  Hockeytown?  Whatever you like to call it, Detroit is home to the greatest hockey team in the history of the sport.  The Detroit Red Wings have made the NHL playoffs every year since before I was born.  That’s 21 straight seasons, with 4 Stanley Cups in that span.  The Wing’s playoff streak is the longest in all professional sports. 


I have been a Red Wings fan as long as I can remember, and am used to them always reaching the post-season.  This year is no exception, however, something was a little different.  The Wings are in the playoffs as the 5th seed because this season their division was incredibly good.  Usually they are one of the top four teams and earn the home team advantage.  Four of the five teams in their division made the playoffs which has never happened in this division.  

Currently they are playing their division rival Nashville in the first round of the playoffs.  I think that this is going to be a great series.  The atmosphere of playoff hockey in Detroit is electrifying and with a rival in town it can only get more exciting.  These two teams have always had a very competitive and physical rivalry which makes for a great series, but more importantly just great hockey!  Despite the Wings being down 2-1 in the series I think they will pull even in the next game and take the series in 6 or 7 games.  GO WINGS!

2 comments:

  1. I also think this is going to be a great series, with Weber cheap shotting Hank like that I see a lot of bad blood rising in this rivalry. The Wings also kind of create a paradox for me, besides the Wings I'm mainly a Cleveland Fan (Browns, Indians, Cavs) and while the Wings have been winning championship and being dominant the Cleveland teams have been on the losing side of more sports memories (The Drive, The Fumble, The Shot) than I can care to remember. I also think the Wings pull it out and continue a run to at least the Western Conference Finals

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an interesting article for me to read because of my lack of knowledge in regards to professional hockey. I am from Los Angeles and grew up in an area where hockey was never talked about. I hadn't even watched a full regulation game until coming to Michigan. A bunch of my friends encouraged me to watch and I started to get into the sport. This combined with my new love for NHL 12 the video game, has given me a new appreciation for ice hockey. I completely agree with your view of the Red Wings. With the millions of Wings fans at U of M, the Detroit Red Wings are clearly one of the most prestigious programs in sports. Much like the Yankees, Celtics, or Lakers, the Wings are a team that is always a title contender no matter what season it is. Their franchise's history of winning resonates through their current players in their ability to perform in high pressure situations. I couldn't tell you how many times my fraternity house has erupted in celebration due to a late period goal by a Wings player.

    ReplyDelete