Total Pageviews

Monday, April 16, 2012

The Final Grade of UC 256

The class of UC 256 has come to a close and I felt it was necessary if to share my feeling about this course. There have many blog post and class presentations about the good and bad that many had experienced throughout this semester. Personally, I didn’t think this class was so bad, and compared to classes that I have taken so far, it is definitely one of the better ones.

What I liked most about this course is that variety of content that were presented. I know this an interdisciplinary course and consequently required but I felt the ones they chose for the most were pretty interesting. The only thing that I wasn’t really thrilled about was how we didn’t engage deeply into those topics. Yes, we had reading quizzes, and opportunities to blog, but I thought it would be a little more interactive. To be honest I’m not really sure how we could change that, but maybe with a smaller class size, if that is even possible.

Another hot topic of this course was the discussion of the grading system. I don’t think it was necessarily unfair because there were so many options to get the points I needed instead of like most classes where your whole grade is based off of three assessments. Also, those assignments were not hard and really long except the major quest, so the workload for the class wasn’t really heavy.

With that being said and going off the topic classes and grades, I want to award UC 256 with a grade of a B+. This course would have gotten an A if it were more interactive and not just write about them in blogs or answer reading quizzes.

1 comment:

  1. I can understand your stance on the class. I just think it is unrealistic to improve the interactiveness of the class without lowering the number of students. The class size of UC 256 is just the right size for the interactiveness to take part between guild members. The class being divided into 12 guilds allowed individuals in each guild to discuss the specific topic with their guild members. Talking up in a class much bigger than a normal discussion can be scary for many people. UC 256 offers outgoing individuals the opportunity to speak up in class, while quieter, shy people can participate online on blogs and reading quizzes as well as contributing to the discussion of the topic within the guild. The opportunities to participate in UC 256 are numerous and created for a wide range of people.

    ReplyDelete