Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Mind Games

When first hearing the phrase 'mind game' some may think about the things people say or do that is purposely meant to trick or fool the psychological thinking of another, in other words, they play tricks with your mind. However, what about the games we play in our own head? The ones that are not meant to trick or fool you but actually try to help you make better decision in the future, which is essenitally the same to a  game theory or decision theory mentality. 


I personally find myself playing mind games as well with situations I encounter. Like when I was recently away at a soccer camp with a new coach and new staff members. I had no idea what they would be like or how they thought, and the only thing I had to go off of was what I saw and heard from them each and every day, which was definately a challenge. I was constantly trying to figure what they meant by this and that, and how they thought I was playing based off of their body language, comments and feedback. I found myself always thinking what I should do to be better based off what I thought they wanted. And of course that changed from day to day when something new would come up, it became sort of like a game to figure out what actions would help me the most.
Hunger Games

 We can see an example of this in The Magic Circle's book quest of the novel The Hunger Games. I recently finished reading the novel and I realised that there is game theory throughout the whole book. The main character Katniss Everdeen battles with many decision about who to trust, how she should act and many more. There are countless examples of where she tries to understand and interpret actions of other so should can do and say the right things to better herself. For example, how she analyses the conversations and actions of fellow district member Peeta Mellark, and mentor Haymitch to find out their intentions so she can make her decisions from them. The decisions she makes are not also permanent and are actually changing numerous times as her interpretations are changing as well. You get a chance to see how she plays these games in her head and her thought process throughout her experience of the hunger games.

Even though your intentions are to make decision that will benefit you, playing to many decision games in your head can get confusing and tiresome. But I think it's something that is hard to avoid when you want so some so bad, like Katniss does with surviving the hunger games or wanted to impress coaches. But it's interesting to see what games your mind plays when faced with decisions.

2 comments:

  1. I find your example of being away at soccer camp especially interesting. I played soccer my entire life, went to countless camps and had countless tryouts. I find it quite intriguing that you thought about this process as a sort of game, trying to figure out what others were thinking and thus how you stood in their minds just by going off of physical cues. I had never thought about tryouts and camps as a type of game strategy. But your post has made me look back on it and realize that I was not just trying to oucompete other contenders, but I was also trying to strategize in order to outcompete myself and present myself in the best light. Tryouts and camps were like a game because I was trying to earn a spot and respect from the coaches as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is interesting to see how mind games are utilized in relationships. In every type of relationship they play a large role, whether it is a significant other, a friend, or a stranger. Some such as playing the martyr to get make the other feel bad, trying to trick someone into saying or doing something, deception ect. I am mostly interested and curious of how do we learn these mind games? It is not taught in school, so most likely from our environment. But where do we pick it up mostly? Observing relationships of our parents, people on television? What do you guys think?

    Jen Joseph
    The Fantastic Four

    ReplyDelete